Port-A-Connie

June 22
Now what??? 
 Today was the day for my port installation and the "precious duo" was with me, of course, as well as that special friend of mine, Leigh Ann. The port is used for all infusions (like chemo, drawing blood, etc.) so the nurses don't have to find a new vein each time I need an infusion.  I've been told that the port is "my friend."

Here I am right after the procedure.  I don't know why I'm smiling because I really didn't feel like smiling!  This procedure took a lot longer than I thought it would.  (However, during the wait and the procedure, I got FIVE warm blankets!!  I couldn't believe my luck.) There was no general anesthesia for it either ... instead, they used medications for something called "conscious sleep."  Well, I wasn't conscious, but I was asleep.  For almost 24 hours!  Apparently I did the "conscious" part half-way through the procedure so they gave me even MORE medication.  When my sister took this picture, all I wanted to do was go back to sleep.  I'm very sensitive to those "conscious sleep" medications.

Man, what a fake smile is that??

And here's a picture of the bandage over the port and the incision for the tube that they shove down to the jugular vein and back to the port.  Ouch!!
See that redness under the bottom bandage?  I had to go back to the doctor the next morning because I had a reaction to the original tape.  I was so afraid I already had an infection, but the doctor didn't think so. Also, the original tape was on my skin so tightly that I couldn't move my head and it really hurt.  The doctor changed the dressing and the tape and it feels so much better now.  I think the redness will disappear or turn into a big bruise, but I don't care.  At least this procedure is over.  I was really dreading this, but then I've dreaded EVERYthing so far, right?!!

 FYI ... when I finish my last chemo treatment, I'll explain the title of my blog.  (Just in case you were wondering!!)

I start chemo on July 28.  Let's get this party started!  




No comments:

Post a Comment