Gulp ... The Oncotype Is Back.

June 15
I had a hard time finding any blessings today, but I DID find this photo I'd taken during the spring.  A typical Oklahoma sunset.  Awesomeness.

Today was the day to get 'the news.'  The "precious duo" was with me, of course.  I knew the Oncotype was back and that I'd hear how we'd proceed. I was shaking in my boots again.  Who me??  Ha!

Dr. G was in his typical form ... smiling, positive, and so, so sweet.  He told me there was good news and bad news.  The good news was that my pet scan and echo were good.  (I already knew this but I didn't have the heart to tell him.  What I really wanted to say was "JUST TELL ME IF I'M HAVING CHEMO OR NOT.")  Then he gave me the bad news:  My oncotype test was "off the graph."  My cure rate without chemo is 66%.  I knew my path reports weren't that good, but I didn't know they were that bad.  However, WITH chemo, my cure rate went up to 83%.  This wasn't especially good news to me ... I wanted to be up there at 95% or more.  I told Dr. G on the spot that I liked my odds WITH chemo and that's what I wanted to do.  Dr. G said he agreed.  Seventeen more percentage points for recurrence/cure was worth the chemo.  I will have 6 chemo treatments ... one every three weeks and and I WILL lose my hair.  But the good news ... it will grow back!  And besides, one of the side effects of chemo is LIFE!  I love that side effect.

I DID find a blessing today after all.  The "precious duo" and I toured the infusion room at the cancer clinic.  It's magnificent!  WOW!  And the nurse who showed us around this wonderful place was another kind and so, so sweet person I've met along the way.

Here are some pics of the infusion room:

There are even private infusion rooms here.  It's first come, first served, so I hope I'm there first and first served!  This clinic is totally cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment