A Chicken ... Again!

June 28
I can't believe I was so nervous (again) about another procedure.  Well ... this was a fairly important procedure.  It was my first day of chemo which meant they stuck a needle in my port so the chemo could be administered through a tube attached to the needle.  Mind you, my port was still a little sensitive so I couldn't imagine sticking a needle in there.  Terrible, right?  Uh, NO.  I frickin' didn't feel a thing.  Can't believe how blessed I've been.  Again. 

Here are some pictures of the day:

Who's the man?  That, my friends, is my ex-husband.  He was in town and wanted to be with me for the first day.  We have a MUCH better relationship/friendship now than when we were married.  Ha!  I truly love and respect this man ... and he feels the same about me.  Awwwww.  So blessed.  He's there with our little pregnant daughter, Emily.  She's always there!


Here I am before the nurse inserted the needle.  Only a few, very wise and wonderful women will understand the significance of this photo.  Leave a comment if you 'get it.'  hehe!


First thing the nurse did before I started chemo was draw blood for the lab.  I don't know if you can tell, but the vial for the blood is empty.  That means the port isn't working.  Not good.  


Let's try it again ... lean back a little and raise your arm. Check out the vial.  Empty.


Lean back even some more and take deep breaths.  Very deep breaths.  Vial: Nada.

Right after this picture, I turned toward the nurse and literally pushed my blood into all three vials.  Done.  Easy Peasy.  Wait for the very last picture in this post. It will give you chills.

I had a visit with my doctor's PA, then back to the infusion room to start this journey.  On the left in this picture is the drug that will kill some very specific, fast-growing cells.  In order to be sure you don't have a reaction to the drug, they infuse it very slowly ... over 1-1/2 hours.  Lovin' that miracle drug no matter how long it takes to infuse!


I had some very special visitors today in addition to the "precious duo."  My son came with a "Survivor" Susan G. Komen bag filled with all kinds of wonderful goodies.  He's modeling one of them here:


Ryan also brought a special card for me from my younger granddaughter, Charlotte, aged 4!


And a movie from little Clark explaining why he couldn't come up to see me:


One of my best friends came with the most wonderful cookies.  She left the cookies that we didn't eat with the nurses.  She's so thoughtful that way.  Also, she and my son make me laugh and laugh.  Gotta love the laughter, especially in the chemo room, right?


Look at the view from my infusion room!  Ah-maz-ing.


Here's my twinnie sitting through the whole procedure.  It took FIVE hours to infuse two chemos and the miracle drug today.  That's a very long time to sit ... and sit ... and sit.


My little granddaughter, Sophia, stopped by with her dad for just a second.  They came up to take mommy home.  Her baby should be here within the next two weeks and she gets very tired, but she still comes with me.  Such a sweetie.


Before she left, Sophia showed us her dress and new school shoes:


Last picture. Promise. I saw the image below in the bathroom mirror and asked my sister to take a picture of it.  She asked why.  Well, I think you have to see it through a camera.  This is where the needle was stuck into my port.  Gives me goose bumps. 

All in all, it was a pretty good day for such a dreaded, fearful experience.  I walked out of the clinic feeling the exact same way I felt when I walked in this morning.  Without the fear. I'm blessed, ya'll!!




8 comments:

  1. Connie, i'm so happy you're surrounded with such a wonderful support system and i'm extremely proud of you that your remembered to match the soles of your shoes with your darling flower pin! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving the shoes and the whole outfit darling... i can't see from the top but what pair did you decide to wear?! =D xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such an amazing family and support system, Connie! I'm so impressed with your strength and attitude through all of this! And I LOVE the shoes pic :) xoxoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you, beautiful Connie. You are an inspiration and a very stylish one too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Connie, you look AMAZING, and of course, love the shoes =). Your post is so inspiring. I love your positive attitude and charisma. I look forward to reading more posts on how you've kicked breast cancer's butt. Thinking of you always! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. connie you are just amazing. no other words can express that! i'm so not surprised to see you surrounded by a wonderful network of family and friends. love the pictures and your blog. you are an inspiration! xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. You couldn't have posted a worse picture of your twinnie! UGH!

    ReplyDelete