A Lesson or A Blessing

June 26
I'm going to be brutally honest here.  I hope you don't mind.  Here's the deal: PLEASE do not tell me about anyone who has died from breast cancer.  I only want to hear about the survivors.  You can tell me all the survivor stories you know.  That works really well for me.  We all know at least one woman who has died with breast cancer, but damn ... I don't want to hear about any others.  When you're talking to women who are newly diagnosed with breast cancer, we just want to hear the survivor stories because I, for certain, will be a survivor.  

Today, I received an email from an old sorority sister (yes, we're old ... we started college in 1964!  Man, that's OLD).  My friend wrote many of us who were all friends back then and told us about another friend who died recently from breast cancer.  It shook me on so many levels.  I'm glad I got the news about my old friend, but I don't like the news.  Makes me both sad and scared.  

Chemo starts on Thursday.  It's going to be a trip, I'll tell you.  I'm looking forward to meeting lots of women who are my breast cancer sisters and lots of beautiful, wonderful nurses.  As my brother-in-law tells me, "Everything in life is either a lesson or a blessing."  This journey will be a both a lesson AND a blessing for me.  

And if you tell me about someone who died from breast cancer, I'll sic this bad boy on you:


P. S.  Is it died "from" or died "of?"

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'll never tell you any bad stories, but I don't think I'd mind that precious little bad boy being sicced on me for a while. What a cutie! I'll be thinking about you tomorrow, sweet Connie!

    ReplyDelete