My Friends

September 29
I've had treatment #3 and that means I'm half-way through!  Woo! Hoo!  The side effects after #3 were practically nothing.  The only one that bothered me was the bone-deep fatigue and weakness.  It lasted about a week.  Two days after my treatment I slept for 48 hours solid except for grabbing some food and visiting the loo.  My oncologist had already warned me that the fatigue would be cumulative from one treatment to the next, so I was prepared.  Not too bad, though.  I really can't complain.

I have some extraordinary friends ...

One friend sent me a picture of the t-shirt her brother wore in the Susan B. Komen Race for the Cure run in New York City.  I cried when I saw this picture.  And then I cried some more.  All the way up in New York, someone I've never met in my life wore this shirt in my honor.  It just doesn't get more meaningful than this.  Thank you, Carla.  I love you!

Tonight, my friend down the street brought me this delicious food.  She's Greek and she cooks delicious food constantly.  I've eaten part of what she brought me and it was fabulous.  And nourishing.  And so very comforting.  The bread?  She makes it herself.  Yummy.

My friend, Malin, brought me 4 good-sized slices of lasagna, packaged for freezing.  She also brought fresh spinach and a fabulous loaf of bread.  My good friend, Leigh Ann, brought me a small meatloaf and a pan of zitti.  I haven't thawed them yet, but I will do that very soon.  Leigh Ann is an excellent cook so I can't wait!  (It's not a very pretty picture, but the thoughts and kindness in the picture are beautiful.)

A few days ago, the mailman delivered a box that contained 6 apple cinnamon muffins.  These muffins came from my best friend of 47 years who lives in Mississippi.  We were college roommates and we've stayed in touch since our college days.  Susan knows how much I love muffins, so she made some and sent them overnight mail.  Another sweet gesture that brought me to tears.  Susan lives far away and she's not in the best of health.  Nonetheless, she found a way to express her love for me.  I'm so grateful for my friendship with Susan.  (Notice ... I've already enjoyed two of these yummy muffins!)

And look at this cute scarf that another friend sent me.  I just can't believe how giving and kind people are.  Amazes me almost every day.

What would I do without my friends?  There's no way I'll ever be able to repay these amazing women.  Never.  But I'll try.  That's a promise.

1 comment:

  1. i just saw this post now connie. i love you too!!!! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete