Why Was I SO Scared??

June 2 - Step One
I worked myself up for nothing.  In fact, I'm still embarrassed because I was so freaked about this day, but it was easy peasy.  Well, it started VERY early.  And that was the worst part of the day. 

After checking in at the hospital (outpatient), my "precious duo" and I went over to my radiologist's office.  Oh, man.  I can't even express how scared I was. The procedure for a "wire-guided lumpectomy," took place in a special room with a mammogram machine turned on its side ... kinda weird.  I sat in a chair and my breast was placed in the mammo machine and squeezed as usual so they could locate the tumor.  So far, so good.  I was happy to see my radiologist, Dr. D ... so beautiful and SO sweet.

Another needle in my breast for numbing ... didn't feel a thing!  Next came the scariest part ... a hollow needle was put in my breast and then a tiny wire pushed into that needle.  Dr. D. went back and forth from the mammo screen to the wire, making sure it was in the right place.  (During this she told me not to look down because I might faint if I saw the wire hanging out!)  After she knew the wire placement was correct, she cut the wire and taped it under my arm.  All done.  No pain.  Now my surgeon just had to follow the wire to find my tumor.  Cool, huh?  As yucky as the procedure sounds, I can promise that, for me, it was NO BIG DEAL. Just another day in paradise.  ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment