Piece of Cake!!

June 22
My surgery was a piece of cake.  Honestly.  The worst part was the incision under my arm where Dr. B removed two lymph nodes, but still, not bad at all. Just a little tender and I couldn't move my arm much or lift anything heavier than 10 pounds for a few days.  I'm not complaining, though.  All in all, it was nothing. AND, I got warmed blankets.  Warmed blankets have become my favorite part of this journey. There's no way to describe the happiness I feel when a sweet nurse places a warm blanket over me.  It's heaven.

The worst part of this journey has just been waiting ... and not knowing what would happen ... or how I would feel.

Here's a pic of me just before I went into the OR.  Warning: this is NOT a fashion pic!!  See the sweet warm blanket?  Ah.  Feels so good.

Today, I saw Dr. B for my post-op visit.  He said I was healing beautifully and that he was ready to send me off to my oncologist, Dr. G.  He looked at my path report and said, "Knowing Dr. G, I'm fairly certain that he will recommend chemotherapy."  Oh, really?  That was news to me.  I thought radiation was all I had to do.  I didn't know at that time that Dr. B had received the path reports from the out-of-state labs and I was so confused that I forgot to ask for copies.  Don't forget to get copies of your path reports.  I had Dr. B's receptionist fax them to me the next day.  And THEN I knew why I would probably have chemo.  I knew why I had to keep reading information so I'd be prepared when I met with Dr. G.  Once again, unless you don't want to know anything specific about your breast cancer, research everything you can find about breast cancer and get copies of your path reports.  I'm a researcher at heart, so this part was especially important to me.  As I've said, though, take what you want and leave the rest!  It won't hurt my feelings if you leave it all.  Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment