Ask, Ask, Ask!

June 15
Now this is important info, so listen up.  I'm serious.  I.M.P.O.R.T.A.N.T.

Get copies of every report of every procedure you have.  They're your reports and you need to have them and keep them.  No one had told me about genes such as Her2 Neu, estrogen and progesterone receptors , or Ki-67.  These are very important genes in your breast cancer.  If I hadn't done my research, I wouldn't have known about these genes BEFORE I saw my oncologist.  The path reports done locally told me a little about my tumor, but two national labs also did tests on my tumor and it took over two weeks to get those reports back.

So if you are newly diagnosed, do your research, but do it responsibly. There are many sites that are inaccurate or sites that have very old information. Do NOT read horror stories about breast cancer and/or its treatments.  If something on a site begins to report gloom and doom, back outta there pronto!  You do not need to read that stuff.  You can find my favorite website HERE.

Read up on Her2 neu and estrogene/progesterone receptors.  Your path reports about those important genes willl likely come from an out-of-state lab.  Ask your doctor to send you a copy as soon as s/he receives them.  You'll be so much better prepared to take part in you treatment regime.  End of lecture.  Take what you want and leave the rest!!

And NEVER take your adult son with you to an antique mall.  This is my son, Ryan, who thoroughly enjoyed the trip!!  He always makes me laugh.

1 comment:

  1. This post is wonderful! I love all the information - so important! Your blog is inspiring, witty, and honest. I know it will be so helpful to so many who are struggling with this nasty disease. I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete