What NOT to Say to Someone With Cancer

This picture makes me smile.  Sophia, my granddaughter, will only wear 
pink ...  well, except for the green dress.  This is her closet!  Love it.

The rest of this post will make you smile and maybe even laugh, too, i hope.  I'm all about smilin' these days.  And laughing.  Laughing feels so good.


I have a friend who's been a breast cancer survivor for over 20 years.  When she told her best friend that she had breast cancer, she received a huge bouquet of flowers the next day.  Written on the card:  "I'm sorry you have cancer.  We can't be friends anymore."  True story.  And, to be honest, I laugh every time I think about it.

And what about this one? ... A woman received a call from someone she'd worked with in the past. When the young woman asked the woman how she was, the woman told her she had breast cancer.  The young woman replied, "Oh, I don't know what to say."  And then she hung up!  Just like that.  End of conversation.  I LOL at this one!

This is my personal favorite:  A double mastectomy patient was talking to a friend on the phone and told her that she was scheduled for a hysterectomy.  Her husband heard the conversation and yelled from another room, "WHY DON'T YOU JUST HAVE THEM TAKE YOUR ARMS AND LEGS WHILE THEY'RE AT IT?"  I gasped when I heard this, but then I laughed until I cried.

Please be careful when you're talking to a person with cancer.  Your comment could be repeated in someone's blog.  Ha!

Here's something else that makes me laugh ... my grandson, Walt, in time-out at the restaurant.  How cute is this pic??

No comments:

Post a Comment